Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Dumb junk I remember

When I was young,trying to sleep away the summer heat and failing very miserably. 
The clingy sheet trying to become my second skin, causing me to kick it up off my legs. Watching it slowly fall back down to outline my body. 

The box fan in my window, blowing hot, wet air into my room, my forehead alternating between hot and sweaty to cold and clammy. 
Kicking my white stuffed buffalo out the bed, he seemed to be radiating too much heat for an inanimate object. 

Resting my bare skin against the sheetrock wall that ran flush with my bed. A Momentary release from the hot air. Nice cold sheetrock.

Hearing my parents watching TV. Listening to the nextdoor neighbor's home base C.B. bleed in over the speakers at ear blood volume. His voice like the devil. Hard and scratchy. Like a demonic version wolfman jack, "BREAKER ONE NINE! ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT THEIR EARS ON? COMEBACK!" all booming and excited. Waking up my sisters. Hearing them crying that certain cry of confusion and fear. 
He looks just like my car insurance guy.


"Daddy!, his voice is scaring me." I would hear them say between crying. 
"It's the devil!" I would scream from my room.
"Shut up and go to sleep!" my dad would fire right back.
My dad calling my next door neighbor, telling him that his C.B. is bleeding into our tv. 

Ah. The weird crap that you just remember all of a sudden.

No comments: