Thursday, July 13, 2017

The Nightforce72 Interview

I found Keith (Nightforce72) one day while prowling thru Instagram, just looking around at toy photography. I really liked his eye and perspective.  I really enjoyed the shots of his joes that looked contemplative, and he gave a kind of "slice of life" to them that I just loved. So I had to get a hold of him and peek into his noggin. 


Can you tell me your name and a little bit about yourself? 

My name is Keith.  I’m 37.  Besides the figures I love underground metal, like death metal and ‘80s thrash metal, and I also love old B movies, like horror movies.  For the most part I reject anything “too new,” as in anything from after 1992.  Interestingly at work I’ve managed teams and processes and I always want the latest solution.  But when it comes to pop culture and entertainment, it’s all about the old stuff.







Okay, I have to know...Are Staten Island cats as big as dogs? I have to know!
I knew a guy from Staten Island always said, that. That, and that I was gagootz. 

Haha! There’s a lot of strays in my neighborhood, some are really big but there’s one living near me that’s actually pretty small.  If I see anything wolf-sized I’ll let you know!

So how long have you lived in Shaolin? Have you lived else where or just in New York? 

I’ve been in SI a long time, since I was about 10.  Before that I lived in Brooklyn.

What or who got you into customizing figures and vehicles? 

A couple of years ago I was setting up my collection for display, like in my man cave type room.  I was showing my good friend Dave my childhood HISS II and telling him I like the design and how it holds figures inside it, but I wished it had better colors. A couple of weeks later he sent me a pic on Facebook that someone took of a repainted HISS II in black.  I think it was a Dutch collector who wanted it to look like the original HISS. I decided I wanted to paint mine too, but rather than copy his I went for a “Jungle HISS II” in brown, which morphed into Major Bludd’s personal tank with some green panels.  That was the start.
Not long after that I saw a pic online of an arctic Cobra Commander custom, but I wasn’t impressed because the whites didn’t match and I didn’t think the parts combo was quite right.  So I went out and got a couple of paints and called on my old airplane model skills to make my own.  After that I had a flood of ideas for customs.
I pumped out customs pretty aggressively for the next year and never posted any online.  Once again it was my friend Dave who inspired me to start doing it.  At the time I was getting into “counter intuitive behavior,” so even though I had an instinct to avoid posting, I did it anyway. 


Shhhhh.....


What is your favorite figure that you've customized? 




The Ice Troopers. They helped me learn about dry brushing techniques, and they bring a good horror vibe to the pics.  Before that my favorites were Serpentor’s Royal Guards, which were green repaints of the Crimson Guards.  They taught me the value of good color coordination.

What is your favorite vehicle that you've customized? 

I haven’t thought too much about which vehicle is my favorite, but I’m thinking my Cobra Jeep.  It’s simple and effective and harkens back to the Sunbow cartoon.

What got you into action figure photography? Can you walk me through a photo shoot? 

I guess action figure photography was a logical leap from customs.  But still a bit of a leap.  Long before I customized anything I used to check out photos on Flickr from guys like Scarrviper, but I never considered doing it myself.  I think it first occurred to me when I put together a Night Force version of Hawk and I did an alleyway scene with some Night Force Joes and Headhunters.  I guess all the great pics on Flickr were in the back of my mind.
Shoots can vary, depending on if it’s inside or outside.  What I tend to do is think about a few shots I’d really like to set up, then I either head to the basement or the yard with a box that’s full of whatever I intend to use.  The aim is to get a bunch of good shots stockpiled for editing/posting at a later time.  If I rack up enough shots I can then juggle shots from various shoots to keep mixing up what I post.  It’s important to be time efficient because I don’t really have a lot of extra hours to devote.  I suspect I’ll keep getting better at it.  At the moment I’m not satisfied with my photography. 




What was the first G.I. Joe figure that you ever got. Do you still have it?

 First one was Steeler and the MOBAT, which I got for my birthday in ’83.  I still have them.

Do you have a favorite designer of the Joe toy line?

 Not a specific designer so much as a time frame, which is 1983-86.

Do you have a holy grail figure or vehicle?

Do you own it yet or is still out of grasp? I’d love to have a Flagg or a Terror Drome because they would look so great in the pics.  Unfortunately their size is prohibitive. I’ve joked about getting my wife the Flagg for Christmas and then saying “if you don’t like it I guess I can use it.”  But I don’t think she’d take kindly to an eighteenth scale aircraft carrier permanently occupying part of the basement!




Who was your favorite G.I. Joe character in the cartoon? Favorite Cobra character? Do you think, in your opinion that there was a character that was fleshed out better than the others? 

As a kid I liked Duke in the cartoon because he was leader of good guys, which appeals to me.  But as an adult I’d look back and say Shipwreck was surprisingly fleshed out.  I don’t think I had a favorite Cobra character in the show, I wasn’t too into the bad guys.  But I was fascinated with the Zartan figure because of the accessories and color change gimmick, it had a kind of mystique to it.

Who was your favorite Character in the comic book series? 

Oddly enough for a long time I was anti-Snake Eyes just because of his popularity, but when I read the whole origin and the way Hama presented the character I ended up liking him.  I also remember liking the whole storyline with Rip Cord.  And I really liked Clutch in the comics, it seemed like a better fit for the character than the figure.

Did you ever read any of the Marvel UK GI joe?

 Yes I collected “GI Joe European Missions” as a kid, which are reprints of the Action Force comics.  Some of them are off target but I was a completely huge fan of Grant Morrison’s story “Old Scores,” reprinted in issue 
3.  



You can find Keith on Instagram @Nightforce72
and on Flickr  flickr.com/photos/nightforce72

No comments: