Friday, November 23, 2018

Dellamorte Dellamore

I used to work with a lady at the Public Library that would challenge me to work out my writing muscles daily. 
We would write Haikus every day. I don't really know how it got started. She knew that I was a writer and decided that we both should some kind of exercise daily. She wrote mostly funny ones about food, and I would write weird, shocking, or creepy ones. Sometimes a cute or romantic one would slip through, but for the most part, I just mainly wrote creepy ones. 

We would alternate who would come up with the subject every other day. Our daily ritual would usually start with one of walking by the other and saying, "Today's word is..." and then the word that we would either use in a haiku or write about. I usually did both. 

One day I went above and beyond writing one haiku when she walked by my desk and said that the word of the day was Cemetery. 

My brain reeled with possible things to conjure up! The only thing was, I kept seeing Rupert Everett's face in my mind. Seeing him in the 1994 Italian Horror classic, Cemetery Man. So I submitted to Rupert's guile and wrote what you see below. Enjoy.



Cemetery man.
He buries the walking dead
never to return.

Cemetery man,
Haunted by his one true love.
Who came back from death.

Cemetery man.
Works tirelessly all night
burying the dead.

Cemetery man.
Keeps his secret from everyone.
The dead keeps rising.

Cemetery man. 
Doomed, but remains a staid man.
Just on the outside.

Cemetery man.
Carrying out his sentence.
With help from no one.  


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great stuff! Rupert rose to new prominence in my eyes when he protested Starbucks (also known as Five Bucks coffee around here).