Friday, May 26, 2017

The Monica Coleman Interview


Monica Coleman aka @foolishmando is Mandalorian cosplayer, a prop builder, a haunted mansion fanatic, a mother, a kid at heart, and someone you'd love to go stomping through mud holes and exploring the woods with. Being a big fan of her cosplay and props, I just had to interview her and get to know her better. Here's what we talked about!

Okay, so first off tell me a little bit about yourself. 

I was born in Cleveland and was uprooted to Southern California when I was 7.  Talk about moving to another planet. The only thing I liked about my new home was being allowed to roam wild in the hills behind my house, playing with trapdoor spiders and hunting for crystals that my geologist neighbor tossed out onto the dirt, imagining a saber tooth cat was about to pounce me from behind at any minute. My little piece of heaven.  

When did you get hooked on Disney?

My family went to Disneyland for the first time when I was 10.  The Haunted Mansion was my favorite ride, but I didn't want to admit to myself that it kinda scared me. Trying to be the brave tomboy I thought I was, I stuck my tongue out at Ezra (the skeleton hitchhiking ghost) as our doombuggy rolled past him. When he appeared next to me in the mirror I almost fainted. Some "tough tomboy". 
I never felt as though I belonged where I was planted and the idea of living in some eternally dark afterlife party held a really emotional appeal for me. Hence the Haunted Mansion left its indelible mark on my little black heart.  

What got you started in the Mando Mercs?

 I saw the original Star Wars when it first came out in 1977. I was 13, and became an instant fan. If I still had the movie book I got that premiere weekend, plus the mountains of SW trading cards, the tie fighter and x-wing that my dad built and strung from my brothers bedroom ceiling, locked in eternal celestial dogfight... well, we all have a story like that, right? However, it wasn't until decades later that my interest in cosplay was sparked, by my son Russell. He wanted to become a Merc but was underage, and that's where I eagerly jumped in. Even though he moved on to other interests, I was hooked. The Mandalorian way of life was a perfect match for me. The armor, which is by far Thee Most Badass Armor in the SW universe, the mystique of hiding my homely visage behind that iconic T-visor, the defiant attitude ("usenye" is my favorite retort, which I use way more than I probably should) and it's ideal of "family being more than blood" - loved it all. 

When did you start building Mando costumes? Yours are so imaginative and original! What was the first one you ever built?  

The aesthetic for my kit definitely reflects my appeal for all things dark, and I'm fairly happy with the ominous Goth vibe, also with paying homage to my Prussian roots with the human hair ponytail on my helmet. I listened to a lot of Rammstein and Excision while working on that kit, with heavy, heavy rotation of Marilyn Manson's "This is the New Shit". Yeah, that was my kit's theme song, haha. 
Two years later, my first kit was given official approval and I became merc member 1654, manda'galaar clan, oya!

If I could give one bit of advice to someone starting out with their kit, it would be, "do exactly the opposite of what i did". I threw myself totally into the creative aspect of armor building, ignoring all the advice offered by the Mercs to get approval on every step before moving forward. Lots of unnecessary frustration.





In 2011 I was told by an ex that she could understand me dressing up as a woman before understanding me building a Mando costume. Have you ever had someone give you grief for doing that?

I'm currently in the beginning stages of working on my second official kit, assassin brigade. The same color scheme as my first kit, but with much lighter armor. Double layers of 6mm sintra is a wee bit heavy for my 5'4" frame.

The response I've gotten from most people regarding dressing up in Star Wars costumes has actually been overwhelmingly supportive, especially from the younger generation. Their views are so much more open and encouraging than a lot of folks my age (53). I'd say the demographic I get the most osik from is women my age. I've found a fair amount of them don't like that their husbands like what I do, to which I say, "then get your shebs in the garage woman, and build that kit!" Also the support from my family, and all my friends, Mercs and non Mercs alike, it's saved my sanity in numerous occasions. Vor entye, ner vode. 

Are there any other things that you collect? If so, what are they?

Collecting. Hm. Id say a lot of Haunted Mansion art, other odd art, a particularly smelly shrunken head that has to be kept under glass, but my favorite piece is my replica saber tooth cat skull. That's Monica in a nutshell. I can't really think of a holy grail piece that got away. In the big picture I know it really all is just "stuff". The most important things in my life are intangible - love and time.  






Do you do any other cosplay? If not have you thought about doing another one?

In addition to my assassin kit, I'll also be cosplaying as Carol in her Wolf disguise from Walking Dead. No helmet but I get to hide behind a hood and a filthy bandana. The less you see of my face, the better lol.  

Who has got your vote in best Mando kit category?

As far as my vote for best Mando kit... So many talented Mandos out there. Let's just say my favorite Mando kit hasn't been built yet.  

What person in your opinion makes the best buckets? 

Buckets. I love my Iron Forge helmet, and NME makes superb helmets as well. I'm excited to see how 3D printing will influence helmet designs. 

What material did you make your plates from? 

The plates on my official kit are 6mm sintra, my gauntlets I got from a former Merc and modified. On my haunted mansion Mando, a combination of vacuform pieces from Mandalorian Arsenal, 6mm sintra, Haunted Mansion pieces from Abracadaver Productions, and the textured Mansion wallpaper design on my helmet and chest pieces I made using air dry clay and a rolling pin with the design etched into it. Also my executioner helmet from Kruser Cosplay is perfect for my haunted mansion kit. Love that bucket.












What's your favorite thing to work on when you build armor? 

The plates on my official kit are 6mm sintra, my gauntlets I got from a former Merc and modified. On my haunted mansion Mando, a combination of vacuform pieces from Mandalorian Arsenal, 6mm sintra, Haunted Mansion pieces from Abracadaver Productions, and the textured Mansion wallpaper design on my helmet and chest pieces I made using air dry clay and a rolling pin with the design etched into it. 
My favorite things to work on would definitely be seeing the ideas in my head become manifest, then painting and weathering. I look forward to doing some proper weathering on the soft parts for my assassin kit. I didn't do any of that with my first kit because of it being a lot of delicate fake leather. Very inconsistent. As far as designing first vs jumping right in- definitely a combination of both. I enjoy ruminating on every excruciating minutiae in my head, but spontaneity is always fun too, especially if I'm teaming up with someone on an idea. Awesome feeling. 

Does Kyr'am Ad'ika have a back story? If so, have you written one?

Kyr'am Ad'ika's backstory. She was ripped away from her family as a child and sold into slavery by the yuuzhan vong. She escaped while still fairly young with the help of a dark wolf whom she befriended, her only friend who was slain by a Jedi and whose pelt she wears in her shoulder armor and Kama. She also incorporates the use of Vong snap bugs in her belly armor, and takes a disturbing pleasure in torturing her former captors. She proudly wears a yuuzhan vong scalp ponytail in her helmet. 
Kyr'am Ad'ika in all her awesome glory!



Besides Boba Fett, who is your favorite Mando? 

As far as a favorite Mando besides Boba Fett... I will keep that secret safely tucked away. 
If you had told me ten years ago that I would be getting into cosplay at the age of 50 I would have said, "Yep, that's Monica." 


You can follow Monica on Instagram @foolishmando 

No comments: