Sunday, April 30, 2017

Bullet eating

The following story happened a while ago....

At work today a woman from Slovakia came up to me, noticed my haircut and said. "I like your hair cut."

"Thanks." I said in return. 

"It looks a lot better than last week." She said in a matter of fact way.

"What?" I was totally embarrassed because of what she said and how loudly she said it. And of course this being a Library and Libraries are nice and quiet, like the visitation room of a funeral home, but without the casket and the weeping relatives with the bad perfume and the nagging over who got the cheapest flowers. Anyways, everyone heard it.

"How do mean?" me, jumbling out my question all red in the face. My brain screaming "NOW WHY DON'T PEOPLE TELL ME THIS BEFOREHAND!!??" 

The Slovakian woman whose name is Monika, continued. "It looked terrible like this movie I saw last week from back in the thirties." She ran her fingers in front of her forehead in an archfashion. "It was Whoop, Whoop. The front of your hair was like that. All wavey. Ah! It looked terrible. It looks much better short like you have it now."

As she explained to me why she hated my past hairstyle and liked the new one. All I could think of was,"Hmmm she sounds alot like Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory." but then also I kept thinking about, just exactly how long did I look this crappy, and why didn't anyone else tell me about it.

So she comes back up and tells more about how this city we live in is a Baptist nest of snakes, and that she really likes my hair now. Now I feel so crappy about a day last week, that I want to just get under my desk and stay there. 

I let her have her internet copies for free since she was honest. And lost of times, honesty hurts worse than anything. 
Honesty is like a good sucker punch in the sparring session called life. It's good to get the wind knocked out of you when you don't see it coming.

I am all about humbling. 



No comments: