Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Mark E. Rogers and The Dead

I remember in 1989, I was in 9th grade and in study hall and a friend of mine was reading The Dead by Mark E. Rogers.  He told me that was a very scary book and that I should definitely read it.
So, twelve hours later.  I neglected every class that day, I neglected my friends, the girl that I was obsessed with, I neglected my homework, dinner, and sleep that night.  This book scared the hell out of me! This is coming from someone who was raised on a steady diet of horror movies, horror comics, and other assorted things that could give a person the creeps.
So now fast forward to when I am a thirty-something adult and I come across this book on the internet and order it so consume yet again. Even now this book still scares the hell out of me! So naturally, I did what any great friend would do. I forced it on every friend I have. I made my girlfriend at the time read it. Even my mother had to read it! Needless to say, I had a lot of calls from my friends telling me in a sarcastic tone, “Thanks for making me read this book, it scared the hell out of me!” but they had to share my dread of this book! They had to know about this book. It was too important to not tell anyone about. Even now, when I run across someone who has not read this book, I pull it out and read to them the part that hooked me. Let’s just call it, “When Duncan meets Legion.” and then they react just like I did when I was in 9th grade. The just neglect everything and then call me and tell me that they hate me for making them read this very scary and creepy novel.

I just smile and say, “You’re very welcome.”

No comments: