Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Run with us.

On August 4th, 2016 I got up the guts to send a letter to a band that I found out about called, "The Cybertronic Spree". A rock band for the most part, that plays songs from the soundtrack of  "The Transformers: The Movie" that came out in 1986.

The band is composed of, Hotrod who plays bass and vocals, Arcee who plays the keyboard and vocals, Spike on guitar and backing vocals, Rumble on drums of course, Quintesson on keyboards and backing vocals,and Unicron on lead guitar, with dance accompaniment by Soundwave and Bumblebee. They bring a vibrancy and life to the songs, and a sense of nostalgia that is just inspiring. I highly recommend their youtube channel, that I will be putting a link down below.  But for now, on with the letter that I wrote to them. You might find it corny but it's very sincere and pure. So, here ya go. 

Hello Autobots, and Decepticons!

I ran across your youtube channel and your spectacular version of “You got the touch.” which I found to be just incredible! Your costumes, the talent, the cohesion that you all have as the band, “The Cybertronic Spree” is just a jaw dropping thing that you don’t hear or see anymore with the bands of  today. But, when hearing your amazing cover of Lisa Lougheed’s “Run with us” from the Raccoons cartoon. That song just took a crowbar to an old deserted, cobwebbed, boarded up area of my mind and opened it wide.

Boom! I was a kid again, smiling so hard I was crying.


There were emotions still trapped in there from when I was young. That young part of me hadn’t aged and discovering him hidden back in the furthest part of my mind made me cry. So then I went back and tracked down the Raccoons cartoon and remembered watching it, and making my sisters watch it too.

 It came on First Choice, this Canadian satellite channel, and I would record it for future re-viewing. Those times were the best times for me. But not as a kid though. My family was getting divorced, my aunt died, I had a nervous breakdown at the age of 12 and lived with my grandparents to be away from my father. I lived in my own world and watching cartoons like The Raccoons, Transformers, Starchaser the legend of Orin, Rock and Rule, those shows were my outlet.

As an adult, I still love cartoons and continue to watch them. But there was something though about The Raccoons and that song “Run with us.” I used to wish I could run away with them. Upon rediscovering all of this, even at my age now, I get chills hearing Arcee singing it and really belting it out there. You can see the crowd just eating it all up!
I know that I will probably never make up to Toronto or the surrounding area to see you play live,  but at least I get to see you guys perform on youtube and that makes me smile like a kid. You guys have gift and it’s not very common nowadays.

I am sorry for making this so long. So I’ll just say thank you for making me feel like a kid again and thank you for giving him back to me.
And for that, I’ll be a fan of yours forever.


Tim.

They replied back a day later and said to me. 
"Tim! Thank you so much for this message. The band's goal is to spread happiness around the world and we are glad we could help you with that. Your message made us all smile. Even Unicron! Big hugs!"

To which I said, "Achievement unlocked: made Unicron smile.:)"

You can find them on the web at these links:

and on twitter @cybertronicband

No comments: